Category: Community

01/04/19 President’s Column

President’s Column

January 2019

Happy New Year to all our KUUF members and friends! I hope that 2018 brought you all of what you needed and some of what you wanted. I am blessed to be leading the KUUF Board of Trustees towards church year 2019 – 2020 (May 1 thru April 30) and look forward to finishing this year with resolve and determination in providing for KUUF’s needs (and wants). I pray that we keep love in our hearts and kindness on our tongues as we greet the new year and all the opportunities it brings to us.

As I reflect back on church year 2018 – 2019, I’m thrilled with what we have accomplished:

• Brian Kenny hired as our accompanist
  • Jennifer Ingalls became our Parish Nurse
  • Jessica Star Rockers signed as our Part-time Minister
  • Congregation approved KUUF 2018 Five-Year Plan
  • 2018 Safety Campaign was organized and begun

The events I have listed here only begin to scratch the surface of what KUUF members and friends have accomplished this year…and we have four months left to go! I wonder what amazing things we’ll complete before April 30? I hope you’re wondering that as well, and looking for ways to help us achieve those goals.

Last year the Board of Trustees approved money to pay for childcare so members with children could attend committee meetings and KUUF events. If there are barriers to your involvement in programs or events at KUUF, please talk to a board member so we can examine the situation…you may not be the only one experiencing this difficulty. KUUF wants and needs your involvement, so please see someone with a purple name-tag, or anyone you trust, and let us help you, help us.

Speaking of Stewardship, it’s that time of year again. Most of the KUUF programs we love are made possible through member (and friends) pledges and through fund raising efforts like our rummage sale and auction. Everything I’ve been talking about in this column either directly, or indirectly, requires KUUF budget support. Contributions to KUUF through pledges not only support our fellowship but also support churches and fellowships within our Pacific Western Region and the UUA. If you’re a twelfth-man (fan) of Unitarian Universalism like I am, this is a great opportunity for us to support the things we believe in both inside and outside of our communities.

Thank you for all the support you have given me and your fellow congregants throughout the past year. KUUF doesn’t just reside geographically on a map, or on someone’s ledger, it’s in our hearts and souls…and that’s why – we are KUUF.

Eric Harrold

KUUF Board President

The KUUF Parish Nurse

What services does our volunteer, part-time Parish Nurse offer at KUUF?
● Information-sharing for optimizing health and well-being
● Good-Samaritan emergency response to an accident or sudden illness IF she is present
● On-the-spot assessment and referral for abuse or risk of suicide
● Maintenance of the church first-aid kit
● Involvement in disaster planning for the faith community
● Upon request: provide referrals, accompaniment to appointments, supportive visits, blood pressure checks, and assistance with advanced care planning.

When might I contact the parish nurse?
● When you have a doctor’s appointment and you are not sure what questions to ask or want someone to accompany you.
● When your blood pressure has been running high and you want it checked.
● When you or a loved one has a chronic disease and you are looking for resources.
● When you or a loved one are discharged from the hospital and have questions on how to cope.
● When you decide to make lifestyle changes, such as smoking cessation, diet change, or exercise, and you need resources and encouragement.
● When you have an idea for an educational program you think might be of benefit to the fellowship.
● When you or a loved one would like to complete an advanced directive
and need resources and support.

What services does the Parish Nurse not offer?
● Medical diagnoses or prescription medication
● Injections, laboratory tests, wound care, or other care that requires direction by a physician or other advanced-practice provider
● Care that would otherwise be provided by a home health or hospice agency

May the Parish Nurse provide services to minors (under age 18)?
Under Washington State law:
● Age 13 is the age of consent for mental health treatment, age 14 is the age of consent for testing & treatment of sexually-transmitted infections, there is NO minimum age of consent for reproductive health services.
● Therefore, the Parish Nurse may talk to minors who have concerns about
mental health, STI’s, contraception or pregnancy – with or without a parent present.
● If a parent is not present, the nurse will notify a parent that a conversation occurred, but will reveal no further information unless there’s danger of harm to the minor or others. Any meeting without a parent will occur in a public setting.

How does a member or friend of the fellowship contact the Parish Nurse?
● In person at the church
● By phone message at (916) 223-6880 (this phone is fingerprint
and password protected and calls and messages are confidential)
● By e-mail message at nurse@kuuf.org

Is the Parish Nurse available 24/7?
● As a part-time volunteer, she is not available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
● She checks and returns phone and e-mail messages regularly – usually within 24 hours.
● When she is not available for more than a day or two, she will let the congregation know.

What is a Parish Nurse?
● A Parish Nurse (Faith Community Nurse) is a licensed Registered Nurse who has completed the Fundamentals of Faith Community Nursing course.

Who is our Parish Nurse?
● Jennifer Ingalls, a Registered Nurse with a Master of Science in Nursing
● Her background includes oncology, nursing education, vascular access, infusion therapy, and volunteer work in breastfeeding medicine, maternal/child, school nursing and summer camp nursing.

What is the philosophy of Parish Nursing?
● Parish nursing is a nursing specialty focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
● It uses a holistic center of care, attending to physical, mental, and
spiritual needs.
● Parish nursing is also called Faith Community Nursing.
● Parish nursing services are designed to work within the inter-dependent web of our faith community, guided by our faith tradition, covenant, and personal values.

KUUF Library

KUUF Library

Located in the Elmore Room

Hours:  10:00 am to Noon on Sundays (when the Elmore Room is open);

Monday-Friday 10:00 am-1:30 pm

Email library@kuuf.org for more information or for book recommendations

Public Catalog

View newest titles to the collection at https://kuuflibrary.libib.com/.  Our library is a work in process.  Older titles will be added to the public catalog as they are cataloged.  

Library Mission Statement

The mission of the Library of the Kitsap Unitarian Universalist Fellowship is to provide resources to adults in our community that supports spiritual growth through the free and responsible search for truth and meaning (third and fourth UU Principles).   We seek to include resources that bring understanding and insight from:

• UU history, identity, beliefs, practices and beloved UU teachers
  • History and theology of the major world religions
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit (from sources)
  • Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature (from sources)
  • Words and deeds of prophetic people which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love (sixth principle)
  • Practices that help us meet significant personal challenges of sexuality, gender identity and roles, relationships, parenting, illness, aging, grief and death from a UU perspective

Donations

We gladly accept donations of books not already in our collection!  Donations will be reviewed prior to inclusion to determine if a copy meets our mission statement.  Leave a note if you want your books back if they cannot be included. Place donations in the bin on the bottom shelf in the library.  Thank you!

Parish Nurse Update 01/03/2019

New Year’s greetings from your parish nurse,

I hope all of you are healthy and warm after what is often a busy and tiring month for many.  I’m writing to offer a reminder of how any of you can reach me for information, a referral, to set up a visit, or to ask a question.  My phone (which is fingerprint and password protected) is (916) 223-6880, and my email is nurse@kuuf.org

I will be available after this Sunday’s service, and after *almost* all upcoming services for any questions you may have.  If you’d like a blood pressure screening, help completing an advanced directive, or have questions you’d like to ask in private, we can arrange that easily.

My original plan for this letter was a brief “wellness and encouragement letter,” during this most germ-ridden time of the year.  I had wanted to offer some encouragement about self-care, staying hydrated, and generally being good to ourselves.  But my plans changed yesterday, when I found out that a nurse colleague of mine took his own life over the holidays.  This was a brilliant, dedicated, compassionate, well-trained nurse, and his loss has rocked the team of the hospital where I worked from 2009-2017.  And as I move through my own complex feelings about this loss, I asked myself, what, if anything, can I do now?

I no longer live in the same area as this nurse, so I can’t easily offer concrete assistance to his family and three small children.  I can’t give a hug to my colleagues who knew him very well, or lend a listening ear to them.  What I can do is offer a hug and a listening ear to all of you.  And offer encouragement that you check in on your friends and family and offer the same.  Feel free to reach out to me, to a member of the Caring Committee, the Listening Team, and of course, Rev. Jessica.  We are your beloved community.

I’d also like to share a resource.  The National Suicide Hotline is a 24/7 free service, with a 1-800 number. 1-800-273-8255  This service is also available for the deaf and hard-of-hearing via TDD, and also via chat on their website, https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/  I would encourage those of you who don’t feel you need this resource to save it into your phone anyway, so that one day you have it handy to share with someone who might need it.

So, in closing, Take care of yourselves, and know you are loved, important, and so valued.

With care,

Jennifer Ingalls, RN
Parish Nurse

12/30/2018: The Book from Sara Van Gelder our December 30th Speaker

Her recent book is called: The Revolution Where You Live: Stories from a 12,000 Mile Journey Through a New America.

At a time when so much about our world is so profoundly broken, Sarah van Gelder set out on a 12,000 mile road trip to look for signs of progress on climate justice, economic justice, and racial justice. Her findings are both sobering and deeply hopeful.

According to Sarah, the best way to get the book is via independent bookstore, Powells, which has used and new copies available:  https://www.powells.com/book/the-revolution-where-you-live-9781626567658

The audio book and e-book versions are available here:  https://www.bkconnection.com/books/title/The-Revolution-Where-You-Live

The book will also be on sale at KUUF on December 30, and a couple of copies are now on a table in our church lobby with a payment basket.

Bio: https://edgeofchangeroadtrip.wordpress.com/about-sarahvangelder/

12/24/2018: Christmas Eve Service

KUUF is pleased to invite you, your family and friends to our annual Christmas Eve service at 5 pm on December 24th. Let us gather in the warmth of community and look to the returning of the light as a source of hope, witnessing to one another’s radiant humanity and committing ourselves once again to bring our light to the world. Our minister, Rev. Jessica will be sharing a few words, there will be lots of carol singing, and the service will end in lovely candlelight. All are welcome! We hope you will join us for this special service

12/16/2018: Newcomer Orientation

This Sunday After Service, December 16th at 11:45 am

Are you new to KUUF and wonder what Unitarian Universalism is? Do you want to know more about this Fellowship? Do you want to know how and when to become a member and what that means for you? Do you have questions about KUUF you don’t know who to ask?
Come to our Newcomer Orientation this Sunday after service: 11:45 am to 12:45 pm in the Elmore Room. Snacks will be provided and all are welcome. Childcare provided upon request. 

12/14/2018: Second Friday Film Series

20 years since Eve Ensler’s play The Vagina Monologues shattered taboos, the stakes could not be higher. V-Day is a movement that grew out of the untold stories of women. We believe women. We believe in their right to tell their stories and we believe their stories need to be heard. Nothing is more powerful. The Vagina Monologues gave birth to V-Day, a global activist movement to end violence against all women and girls. With creativity and determination, V-activists around the world tirelessly work to end rape, harassment, battery, incest, female genital mutilation, and sex slavery.

At KUUF 4418 Perry ave NE, Bremerton
Open 6:30 pm for snacks and social time Screening at 7:00 pm
Families welcome: Kid’s play corner available

12/06/2018: Presidents Column

Good morning KUUF members and friends. I hope this holiday season finds you well and in good spirits. Please spend a moment with me to give thanks for all we have, knowing that others in our KUUF family are not entirely well and may be struggling with health or financial challenges. May our blessings and actions provide support for all their needs. Thank you.

Today I want to explore something which has challenged me for years and that is: how do we make decisions when the “right” committee does not exist to broker new ideas? This question was brought up recently at “Conversation with the Board” and is one I struggled with while chairing Buildings and Grounds. Unilateral decisions made in the past, whether we agreed with the decision or not, maintained order and kept our equipment where we could find it, and kept us in compliance with fire codes and other statutory requirements. That structure no longer exists. I feel we are floating around in a nebulous milieu; so, how do we address this thing that has no clear boundaries?

While some things are clear regarding who is responsible for a specific decision, e.g., the color of paint used to mark stripes in the parking lot decided by Building and Grounds, others are not. Rearranging furniture, changing kitchen equipment, posting ideas or opinions—like this one—adding to or taking away from something, covering things up or taking things down, are all examples of changes which may not fall within a specific committee’s responsibilities.

If you have practical experience with other organizations who have answered concerns such as these, or ideas from your own experience, I really want to talk to you!  Perhaps we can call ourselves the ad hoc committee on Decision Treeing? Yes, I’m having a bit of fun with this, but the need for such a procedure, matrix, scale, tool, whatever…is real. Please let me know your thoughts so we can explore this together.

Also, I have been thinking about ways of providing committees some space to store committee belongings. The only space I know of which could be used for this purpose is in the Matan Bldg. I’m asking the Council to add this to their agenda to gauge the need. If there is a need, I will bring this idea to the board for further consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to read this column. I believe that working together develops mutual satisfaction and a heightened sense of involvement within our community, which is why I say…We are KUUF.

Eric Harrold

KUUF Board President

12/02/2018: Truth Quest Book Group

the Truth Quest Book Group will be meeting on Sunday, Dec 2nd, 9:30 am-10:30 am in the Library (Elmore Room) at KUUF.  The book we chose for this gathering is “The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason,” by Sam Harris:  a well written, “pull no punches” depiction of some of the darker aspects of organized religion.  Please come, if you are able, to join us in this topic, so central to our current historical period  — Jerry Butler, jbu4@me.com, 360-981-8826

11/22/2018: Thanksgiving Potluck at KUUF

We welcome everyone to join us for a thanksgiving potluck on
Thursday 11/22/18  Friends and family welcome
We will start gathering around 1:00 and then eat around 2:00.
We are providing local, organically bred turkeys and ask everyone to bring the other dishes including, of course, cranberry sauce, pies, something to drink etc

There will be a sign-up sheet in the foyer or you may call or e-mail the office at 360 377 4724 or admin@kuuf.org.
Please consider helping with set-up and clean-up.

For more information contact Bonner Sams, Marcie Mathis, or Vivien Blyth.

https://www.facebook.com/events/202309827383571/

11/04/2018: Truth Quest Book Group

The Truth Quest Book Group will be meeting on Sunday, Nov 4th, 9:30am-10:30am in the Library (Elmore Room) at KUUF.  The book we selected for this meeting is “God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine,” by Victoria Sweet –  an account of a slower paced, more attentive and wholistic kind of medicine than most of us currently receive, practiced at a hospital in San Francisco.
— As usual, you are welcome whether or not you’ve had a chance to read the entire book – Jerry Butler, jbu4@me.com, 360-981-8826

11/03/2018: 2018 KUUF AUCTION INSIDER INFO

Four key things are needed for a successful auction:  (1) Imaginative, desirable auction items; (2) Eager buyers; (3) Great food; and (4) Special entertainment.  Of course, these four things are underpinned by all the volunteers who support the auction both in the run-up to it and on auction night itself.

Imaginative, desirable auction items:  Serious intelligence has it that there are already some pretty amazing, innovative, and unique items in the pipeline, e.g., participatory dinner theater.  Meal donors from previous years, we are counting on you to open your homes for evenings of fellowship and sustenance.  New providers are most welcome, too.  We are looking for fun experiences as well, e.g., the wine tasting a couple of years ago where the Poulsbo Police were invited to give us breathalyzer tests at the end of the evening.  That was really fun, not to mention a big surprise for the guests (we all passed the breathalyzer test, in case you are wondering).  So, let your imaginations run wild and come up with those great auction items that will result in our achieving our budgeted $11,500.00 goal for the evening.  Click below to donate online:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z2XWBBY

or, watch for Emma Hines-Brandt at the ticket sales table who will have hard copy donation forms that can be given to our Congregational Administrator, Tanesha Smith for input.

Eager buyers:  This year, please consider inviting non-KUUF friends and neighbors to our auction as your guests.  Alan and I have hosted good friends for the past two years.  This is a way to expand our bidding base, and to introduce KUUF to friends and neighbors who are UU at heart, but haven’t discovered it yet.

Great Food:  Thanks to hospitality maven Janice Miller, we are looking forward to a Taco Bar, complete with all the trimmings, including Beth Wilson’s homemade guacamole.  Special diet accommodation offerings will also be available.  Thanks to Carolee Effron, we will have a non-competitive Dessert Frenzy.

Special Entertainment:  With Emcee Jennifer Ingalls, acoustic guitar music by Aaron McFadden, lip-synch award winner Lennie Bironne, and Stokes Auctioneer Chris Sizemore on hand, we can count on an entertaining and fun evening!

Tickets went on sale for $15.00 on Sunday, Sept 9.  Watch for ticket sales maven Emma Hines-Brandt in the foyer.  If you can’t attend the auction, please consider purchasing and donating scholarship tickets.  – Ellen Newberg, 2018 KUUF Fall Auction Chair.

11/01/2018: November Programs at The Priory Spirituality Center

For more information on all of these and to register visit www.stplacid.org
Moving with the Kingdom Within
October 27
Saturday 9:00am-3:00pm
Steve Reiland
Register by Prior Friday: $55
Cinema Divina
November 2-4
Friday 7:15pm-Sunday 11:00am
Register by Prior Friday: $235
Marilyn Freeman 
Sketching Grace
November 10
Register by Prior Friday: $55
Roy DeLeon
Discerning a Path forward Using SoulCollage®
November 17
Register by Prior Friday: $65
Pamela Bradburn

Advent Retreat: Waiting with Mary
November 30-December 2
Friday 7:30pm-Sunday 11:00am
Register by November 16  $175 with Spiritual Direction  $215
Therese Gonneville, OSB

10/27/2018: Mini Membership Retreat

If you do membership work, this day is for you!

It’s time for the 2018 Puget Sound Membership Mini Retreat, we want to see you at our Regional Workshop! Registration is now open. Please encourage your membership committee team to attend – it’s free!

https://goo.gl/forms/pZO0CAK0NS8uGdSr1

There are two sessions:

Morning session runs from 10 – 12:15 and is for paid staff. We will cover topics of interest to everyone and do a little self-care. We will all come together for lunch from 12:15 to 1. The afternoon session will include professional and lay leaders doing membership work. It’s a great way to learn from others’ mistakes and successes, to network and to realize that you are not the only people facing some of your most vexing challenges. Lay people having over three hours to pick the brains of staff can be very helpful.

Sample topics we covered last year: Building a healthy membership committee, Hospitality, database use, membership classes and what a membership pro does.

Our hosts at Quimper are providing vegetable soup and are asking us to bring our own sandwiches, etc.