Category: Community

03/08/2019: Second Friday Film Series

The Reluctant Radical: Activist Ken Ward Confronts his fears and puts himself in the direct path of the fossil fuel industry to combat climate change.

Screening starts at 7:00 pm. Doors open at 6:30 pm for snacks and social time. Discussion following the movie. Families are welcome with a kids’ play corner available.

Free Admission.Kitsap Unitarian Universalist Fellowship 4418 Perry Ave NE Bremerton, WA call 360-377-4724 or email admin@kuuf.org with questions.

03/03/2019: Truth Quest Book Quest

Amazon|Goodreads

The Truth Quest Book Group will be meeting on Sunday, March 3rd, 9:30am-10:30 am in the Elmore room (Library) at KUUF.  The book we selected for this meeting is “Why Religion?” by Dr. Elaine Pagel. This book by Dr. Pagel, a renowned religious scholar, is partly a gripping memoir of how the death of her toddler son, followed close by the death of her beloved husband, led to a personal search for meaning on her part to try to make sense of these traumatic losses. 

02/08/2019: Second Friday Film Series

This Friday’s film showing has been canceled due to snow predicted for Friday afternoon that will worsen as the day goes on.

Screening starts at 7:00pm. Doors open at 6:30pm for snacks and social time. Discussion following the movie. Families are welcome with a kids’ play corner available. Free Admission.

Kitsap Unitarian Universalist Fellowship 4418 Perry Ave NE Bremerton, WA call 360-377-4724 or email admin@kuuf.org with questions.

The Bail Trap: American Ransom

THE BAIL TRAP: AMERICAN RANSOM

Money bail is one of the main causes of mass incarceration in the United States. Yet, few people know what the money bail system is, let alone how it all works or why we need to do away with it.

That’s why Brave New Films’ has produced a short film compilation about America’s broken bail system: The Bail Trap: American Ransom. This ongoing short-film series includes: Breaking Down Bail – unpacking the myths and the history of bail; Tai’s Story: College or Bail? – a documentary about a young woman and the $100,000 price-tag put on her freedom; Deal with the Devil – a cautionary film about the dangers of plea deals; How Much is Your Freedom Worth? – a compilation of spoken-word poetry performed by artists who have been formerly incarcerated; and Lessons for the Nation: New Jersey’s Cash Bail Overhaul – a success story about New Jersey’s historic money bail reform which has led to a near 20% decline in the state’s pretrial incarceration rate.

The reality is that 70% of people in jail are there for one reason: living in poverty. Low-income Americans are sitting in jails for days, months, and even years simply because they can’t afford to pay high bail amounts. All the while, private companies are profiting in the billions each year. This must end. Sign up below to screen any portion or all of The Bail Trap: American Ransom in your education communities.

Together, let’s take action against money bail and help end mass incarceration!

02/07/2019: President’s Column

Happy February everyone. The days are getting longer and our future is certainly looking bright! We are entering the time of year when KUUF builds the budget for the next church year (May 2019 – April 2020). Seems crazy to be writing 2020 already! The Stewardship Campaign is the program that asks each of us to make a monetary pledge which, when combined with all other members’ pledges, will fund KUUF operations throughout the next year. The numbers I’m showing below come from the 2018 – 2019 proposed budget and are only approximations.

What is my pledge used for?

• About 61.5% of last year’s pledges supported our staff and administrative expenses. We have two paid administrative positions; one paid position for Director of Religious Education;, two paid positions supporting our music program;, and several childcare positions ensuring our children’s well-being.
  • About 23% was dedicated to maintaining our lower buildings and campus.
  • About 16% was used for program expenses. The majority of that allowed the Worship Committee to provide the amazing guest ministers and speakers we enjoy on Sundays.  
  • About 7.5% went to the UUA and the PWR to support their efforts in promoting UU values nationally and regionally. You may know our regional representative Tandi Rogers. She and the region’s compensation consultant were an important resource during contract negotiations with our minister – Rev. Jessica Star Rockers.  

That’s 108% of our pledges used for the stated purposes. How is that possible? Our total member-generated income is the sum of our pledging and fundraising events throughout the year. Additionally, we earn some money from administrative services provided, as well as, for the last several years, revenue from leasing the Matan Building.  

You’ll see that the cost of our quarter-time minister is not included above. This is because the funds providing her services were unspent from the previous year’s budget. As there are no guarantees that we will have unspent money after reconciling this year’s budget, the best way to ensure we retain our minister is through our pledges.

If you were to ask me, “Say Eric, I don’t have extra income. Do I have to pledge?” My answer would be, “No, you don’t have to pledge.” But then I would add that my experience has shown me that making a financial commitment, of any amount, may return to you a greater willingness to voice your feelings for how KUUF is doing, both pro or con. I also feel that your ownership, and the likelihood that you will join a committee or program, will be higher. I’m sorry I cannot support that statistically, it’s just my feeling having been both a pledging and non-pledging member. No matter how you contribute, financially or through volunteering, we love you at KUUF.

Thank you all for your continued support. I am looking forward to spending this year with all of you. We are KUUF.

Eric Harrold

KUUF Board President

02/07/2019: Notes from the Minister

The winter must have come in like a lamb because it is definitely going out like a lion. I hope you all have been warm and safe this week, with electricity and heat. Please remember, if you need anything, the Caring Committee and I are just a phone call away. We can connect you with resources and support during difficult times, including inclement weather. So don’t hesitate to reach out in an emergency, by phone or email (included below.) 

I’ve been particularly grateful this week for technology. When the roads in Kitsap Country were too icy for my long drive from Bainbridge to Bremerton, I was able to stay connected and attend meetings over Zoom video conference. Even our Fellowship Council met over Zoom this week. So not only are they a dedicated group of religious leaders, they are also pretty tech savvy! And neither snow nor sleet nor icy roads will keep them from their important work together.

Some of that important work is easy for us to see and name. And some of it is less obvious. The Welcoming Committee has been engaged in several different efforts to increase membership and make guests feel welcome. The Social Justice Committee continues to combat racism in Kitsap County, including being part of a community-wide response against racist leafletting. The Healthy Communications Committee is planning a community building workshop. And the Worship Committee has several multigenerational services planned for this year, so our most important members (the children!) can be a part of the fun of worshipping with us in the community.

I can’t possibly fit all the good work of all the committees into one article. But I encourage you if you’re wondering what your ministry at KUUF might be, come and talk with me. There are so many places to get involved. I’ve been deeply inspired and filled with such hope to witness the fun these committees have, and how much joy they bring to the life of this congregation. 

It’s an exciting time to be a part of KUUF. And I am so grateful to be serving among you. 

Many blessings and stay warm!

Rev. Jessica
360-377-4724 x. 2
minister@kuuf.org

Rev. Jessica Star Rockers

01/19/19: Minister Ordination Save the Date

Jessica Star Rockers will be ordained at Cedars Unitarian Universalist Church, on Bainbridge Island on January 19th from 3-6 pm at Island School, 8553 NE Day Rd. This school is located on the north end of Bainbridge Island and it cannot be reached by walking off the ferry. It is recommended to car pool from Seattle, Shoreline or Bremerton.

The ordinations service will begin promptly at 3pm and will be followed by a pot luck dinner hosted by Cedars.

To ensure that we have an accurate count for the ordination service and the pot luck supper we ask that all guests RSVP to this Website. https://www.cedarsuuchurch.org/?page_id=14065

01/13/2019: Deported from Kitsap County

Deported from Kitsap County

an up-close view of the American deportation system

Kitsap Unitarian Universalist Fellowship January 13, 2019 12:00 pm

What happens to the Undocumented in the current U.S. deportation system? Cedars Unitarian Universalist Church’s Justice Network presents an up-close view of the American deportation system and how it affects immigrants crossing the border as well as those living in our state. Speakers Katherine Niall and Helen Nissani will trace the steps of deportees, from their capture in Kitsap County to detention in Tacoma, their deportation, and attempts to return to their families. Highlights of the program include good works by The Samaritans and other humanitarian aid organizations.

Admission is free, all are welcome. For more information contact socialjustice@kuuf.org

01/06/2019: Truth Quest Book Group

The Truth Quest Book Group will be meeting on Sunday, January 6th, 9:30 AM-10:30 AM in the Library (Elmore Room) at KUUF. The book we selected for this first gathering of the New Year is “Healing the Heart of Democracy: The Courage To Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit,” by Parker Palmer. Whether or not you have had a chance to read the entire book, you are invited to come and address this topic so relevant to the current political/social conundrum in which we find ourselves — Jerry Butler, jbu4@me.com, 360-981-8826

01/04/19 President’s Column

President’s Column

January 2019

Happy New Year to all our KUUF members and friends! I hope that 2018 brought you all of what you needed and some of what you wanted. I am blessed to be leading the KUUF Board of Trustees towards church year 2019 – 2020 (May 1 thru April 30) and look forward to finishing this year with resolve and determination in providing for KUUF’s needs (and wants). I pray that we keep love in our hearts and kindness on our tongues as we greet the new year and all the opportunities it brings to us.

As I reflect back on church year 2018 – 2019, I’m thrilled with what we have accomplished:

• Brian Kenny hired as our accompanist
  • Jennifer Ingalls became our Parish Nurse
  • Jessica Star Rockers signed as our Part-time Minister
  • Congregation approved KUUF 2018 Five-Year Plan
  • 2018 Safety Campaign was organized and begun

The events I have listed here only begin to scratch the surface of what KUUF members and friends have accomplished this year…and we have four months left to go! I wonder what amazing things we’ll complete before April 30? I hope you’re wondering that as well, and looking for ways to help us achieve those goals.

Last year the Board of Trustees approved money to pay for childcare so members with children could attend committee meetings and KUUF events. If there are barriers to your involvement in programs or events at KUUF, please talk to a board member so we can examine the situation…you may not be the only one experiencing this difficulty. KUUF wants and needs your involvement, so please see someone with a purple name-tag, or anyone you trust, and let us help you, help us.

Speaking of Stewardship, it’s that time of year again. Most of the KUUF programs we love are made possible through member (and friends) pledges and through fund raising efforts like our rummage sale and auction. Everything I’ve been talking about in this column either directly, or indirectly, requires KUUF budget support. Contributions to KUUF through pledges not only support our fellowship but also support churches and fellowships within our Pacific Western Region and the UUA. If you’re a twelfth-man (fan) of Unitarian Universalism like I am, this is a great opportunity for us to support the things we believe in both inside and outside of our communities.

Thank you for all the support you have given me and your fellow congregants throughout the past year. KUUF doesn’t just reside geographically on a map, or on someone’s ledger, it’s in our hearts and souls…and that’s why – we are KUUF.

Eric Harrold

KUUF Board President

The KUUF Parish Nurse

What services does our volunteer, part-time Parish Nurse offer at KUUF?
● Information-sharing for optimizing health and well-being
● Good-Samaritan emergency response to an accident or sudden illness IF she is present
● On-the-spot assessment and referral for abuse or risk of suicide
● Maintenance of the church first-aid kit
● Involvement in disaster planning for the faith community
● Upon request: provide referrals, accompaniment to appointments, supportive visits, blood pressure checks, and assistance with advanced care planning.

When might I contact the parish nurse?
● When you have a doctor’s appointment and you are not sure what questions to ask or want someone to accompany you.
● When your blood pressure has been running high and you want it checked.
● When you or a loved one has a chronic disease and you are looking for resources.
● When you or a loved one are discharged from the hospital and have questions on how to cope.
● When you decide to make lifestyle changes, such as smoking cessation, diet change, or exercise, and you need resources and encouragement.
● When you have an idea for an educational program you think might be of benefit to the fellowship.
● When you or a loved one would like to complete an advanced directive
and need resources and support.

What services does the Parish Nurse not offer?
● Medical diagnoses or prescription medication
● Injections, laboratory tests, wound care, or other care that requires direction by a physician or other advanced-practice provider
● Care that would otherwise be provided by a home health or hospice agency

May the Parish Nurse provide services to minors (under age 18)?
Under Washington State law:
● Age 13 is the age of consent for mental health treatment, age 14 is the age of consent for testing & treatment of sexually-transmitted infections, there is NO minimum age of consent for reproductive health services.
● Therefore, the Parish Nurse may talk to minors who have concerns about
mental health, STI’s, contraception or pregnancy – with or without a parent present.
● If a parent is not present, the nurse will notify a parent that a conversation occurred, but will reveal no further information unless there’s danger of harm to the minor or others. Any meeting without a parent will occur in a public setting.

How does a member or friend of the fellowship contact the Parish Nurse?
● In person at the church
● By phone message at (916) 223-6880 (this phone is fingerprint
and password protected and calls and messages are confidential)
● By e-mail message at nurse@kuuf.org

Is the Parish Nurse available 24/7?
● As a part-time volunteer, she is not available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
● She checks and returns phone and e-mail messages regularly – usually within 24 hours.
● When she is not available for more than a day or two, she will let the congregation know.

What is a Parish Nurse?
● A Parish Nurse (Faith Community Nurse) is a licensed Registered Nurse who has completed the Fundamentals of Faith Community Nursing course.

Who is our Parish Nurse?
● Jennifer Ingalls, a Registered Nurse with a Master of Science in Nursing
● Her background includes oncology, nursing education, vascular access, infusion therapy, and volunteer work in breastfeeding medicine, maternal/child, school nursing and summer camp nursing.

What is the philosophy of Parish Nursing?
● Parish nursing is a nursing specialty focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
● It uses a holistic center of care, attending to physical, mental, and
spiritual needs.
● Parish nursing is also called Faith Community Nursing.
● Parish nursing services are designed to work within the inter-dependent web of our faith community, guided by our faith tradition, covenant, and personal values.

KUUF Library

KUUF Library

What are you reading for Earth day? Click here for some great ideas!

Located in the Elmore Room

Hours:  10:00 am to Noon on Sundays (when the Elmore Room is open);

Monday-Friday 10:00 am-1:30 pm

Email library@kuuf.org for more information or for book recommendations

Public Catalog

View newest titles to the collection at https://kuuflibrary.libib.com/.  Our library is a work in process.  Older titles will be added to the public catalog as they are cataloged.  

Library Mission Statement

The mission of the Library of the Kitsap Unitarian Universalist Fellowship is to provide resources to adults in our community that supports spiritual growth through the free and responsible search for truth and meaning (third and fourth UU Principles).   We seek to include resources that bring understanding and insight from:

• UU history, identity, beliefs, practices and beloved UU teachers
  • History and theology of the major world religions
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit (from sources)
  • Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature (from sources)
  • Words and deeds of prophetic people which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love (sixth principle)
  • Practices that help us meet significant personal challenges of sexuality, gender identity and roles, relationships, parenting, illness, aging, grief and death from a UU perspective

Donations

We gladly accept donations of books not already in our collection!  Donations will be reviewed prior to inclusion to determine if a copy meets our mission statement.  Leave a note if you want your books back if they cannot be included. Place donations in the bin on the bottom shelf in the library.  Thank you!